Re: [OM] Re: [OM Angle of view: Camera

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: [OM Angle of view: Camera
From: Christopher Biggs <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 07 Jan 1999 10:13:54 +1000
"Rand E. Tomcala" <rtomcala@xxxxxxxxxxx> moved upon the face of the 'Net and
spake thusly:

> Paul,
>   Is there an easy way to figure the angle of view for lens of less than
> 50mm.  Is there a table somewhere on the internet.  Case in point, I
> have a 17mm standard view lens, what is the angle of view and how would

For a non-fisheye, angle of view is

        2 * arctangent ( film-dimension / ( f * 2 ) )

eg. for 50mm

        2 * atan ( 43.2 / 100 ) = 46.72 degrees (on the diagonal)

Remember to keep your units the same--millimetres or metres or
whatever, and beware that many programming languages and calculators
give inverse trigonometric results in radians, not degrees.   Multiply
by ( 180 / pi ) to convert radians to degrees.

Extreme wide-angle lenses do such varied trickery that this formula
breaks down, and field of view is best determined experimentally (or
by RTFM).

Chris.

--
| Christopher Biggs email:chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx | Linux: The choice of a GNU  |
| Stallion Technologies, Queensland, Australia |        Generation.          |