Re: [OM] Flatbed Scanner and Photoshop LE

Subject: Re: [OM] Flatbed Scanner and Photoshop LE
From: "Tomoko Yamamoto" <tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 1999 11:35:37 -0500
Perusing a few posts under this subject made me look at the latest issue of
"Publishing Perfection" catalog.

Although they do not list the Olympus ES-10 scanner, it lists the major Olympus
digital camera line.  In fact, the two new Olympus digital cameras, D-620L
(1400XL for Europe and Japan) and D-400z (900 elsewhere) are on the opening
page.

Even though I have never bought anything from them (their prices tend to be
higher), I like to peruse its monthly catalog because of their listings of
prices and detailed features of everything they sell.  It beats the B&H catalog
in their digital section.  And it is in color.

For example, on p. 5 of their latest issue, they list four different digital
camera lines, each with its prices, Nikon CoolPix 900s, Nikon E3 Professional,
Olympus D600L, Casio QV-7000SX.

In addition, they list film and flatbed scanners, printers including the Alps
MD-5000 and 1300 as well as numerous digital publishing software.

To those of you considering to buy anything digital related to photography, I
suggest that you get a copy of their catalog by either calling 1-800-274-7563 or
e-mail ct15b@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx.  They take international orders so I assume they
might send a copy of their catalog overseas.  They do have a Web site:
http://www.publishingperfection.com

Another thing I recommend is a scanning book.  I think it is better to get a
book first before you buy a scanner, then you know what you are getting and
paying for.  The book I have is  "Make Your Scanner A Great Design & Production
Tool" by Michael J. Sullivan (North Light Books, ISBN 0-89134-841-7).  The
author has a Web site at
http://www.hsdesign.com/scanning/tipswelcome.html

Lastly, if you are looking for good prices, you might look at the following
site:

http://www.shopper.com/

Please bear in mind that the vendors included in price comparison must be paying
to get in, but their price comparision table gives you a great handle on the
market of a particular product.  I was able to negotiate a price down because of
my knowledge of the range of prices.   The table also gives you info on
international orders.  The problem with international orders to US dealers is
the high cost of shipping.  The only one vendor I know of lists US airparcel
prices.  This is Sparco Communications, which I have dealt several times for
domestic ordering.  They have a very favorable RMA policy, which is nice since
most of mail-order company would charge a restocking charge if you return
merchandise with no defect just because you don't like it.  That is not so with
Sparco, but you do pay a bit higher prices initially.

Another company I have used several times is Calico Software which does sell
some hardware as well.  In fact in the middle of writing this post I received a
package from them shipped UPS ground from a New Jersey warehouse yesterday.  I
placed my order late Monday night.

I'd better stop here and let you surf the Web for info or return to work.

Tomoko Yamamoto
mailto:tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx
http://www.charm.net/~tomokoy/