Re: [OM] Flatbed Scanner and Photoshop LE

Subject: Re: [OM] Flatbed Scanner and Photoshop LE
From: "Tomoko Yamamoto" <tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 1999 00:07:03 -0500
I bought my flatbed scanner without transparency adapter with Full Photoshop 4.0
(free upgrade to 5.0) and TextBridge  (OCR) for about $520 or so.  I was advised
against the transparency adapter.  The scanner is a LinoColor Jade2 scanner made
by a German company (I think the parent company is Heidelberg, and the American
company is Linotype-Hell).  I mainly bought this scanner because of Full
Photoshop plus a good scanning software (ColorFactory Pro) which is very
important in scanning.

Although one can do color correction in Photoshop, it is easier and less-time
consuming if the scanner software can do it for you.  I have not played too much
with the scanner except to hook up in a SCSI chain and a few test scans since I
have been busy with Photoshop optimizing my PhotoCD files.  I decided not to buy
a film scanner for a while.  The one I would want would be too expensive, and I
understand good PhotoCD scans are superior to scans from low-end scanners.

I think it really depends on what your end product is; whether you want scanned
files for the Web or for printing.

Tomoko Yamamoto
mailto:tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx
http://www.charm.net/~tomokoy/