[OM] More millennia/millennium stuff

Subject: [OM] More millennia/millennium stuff
From: Patrick Greenlee <patrickg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 1999 09:06:27 -0700
Matthias.K.Wilke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

< I can't understand this. I beginn to count with zero. The person who was
< born at the 01.01.0000 should have his 2000th birthday on the 01.01.2000.

Yeah maybe, but, since there was no year 0000 and the count started with 1
the millennia are 1001, 2001, 3001, etc.

< Can anyone explain this to me ?
< Matthias >>

Many may try but few will succeed.

<I think the current millenia began on 01/01/0001. No, I don't know why. It's
<all rather arbitrary I think. Which just makes all of these doomsayers
<claiming the world is going to end on 01/01/2000 look that much more
<ridiculous. It will end on 01/01/2001.

Paul Schings

Actually the current millennium began on 01/01/1001 (note millennium is
singular and millennia is plural)
It definitely is not arbitrary.  Different societies (with different
religions) reckon the years differently.  The Chinese calendar, for
instance, isn't in sync with the western worlds calendar so it follows
logically that their part of the world won't end because our calendar reads
01012001.

If anyone cares, there was this carpenter named Jesus and most of the
western world synchronized their calenders to reflect his death.  Some of
you may have seen the date given as such and such AD, e.g. 2001 AD.  Some
educationally challenged folks think AD means after death as in after this
Jesus guy died but actually it is a Latin abbreviation which stands for
anno domini which many translate as "in the year of our lord."

For any of you who are still awake:  Think about it for a couple
microseconds and it is obvious why there wasn't any year zero which of
course leads to the logical conclusion that the new millennium begins with
01012001, sometimes written 20010101 by computer scientists.   OLY content
follows:

For those of us with data backs for our OM bodies.... We have our own
difficulty, the data back will not display any arbitrary year and thus has
built in obsolescence.

Patrick

P.S.  I still have a couple of the coins dated  432 BC for sale in 9-10
condition, any takers?