Re[2]: [OM] OM Millenium Plans

Subject: Re[2]: [OM] OM Millenium Plans
From: Dave Haynie <dhaynie@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 1999 10:16:45 -0500 (EST)
On Tue, 5 Jan 1999 05:33:55 EST, Pauls0627@xxxxxxx jammed all night, and by
sunrise was overheard remarking:

> In a message dated 1/5/99 3:29:35 AM Eastern Standard Time, WKato@xxxxxxx
> writes:

> << 2. Another idea would be to take the first sunrise of the millenium.  The
>  international date line runs just west of Hawaii but jogs to the east near
>  Tonga, which would appear to be the first spot in the world to see a sunrise
>  on 1/1/2000.  This time I would take my wife, flowered shirts, an OM4T,
>  21/3.5, 28/2.8 35-70/3.6 zoom, and 100/2 lens and neutral density gradient
>  filters. >>

> The first sunrise of the new millenia is on 1/1/2001...

Well, technically speaking, it would be 2000 years after the birth of
Christ, which is a matter of some debate, since while 1/1/2000 is too
early, 1/1/2001 is too late, if you accept our dating system as an
accurate count of the years, which it almost certainly isn't. Not to
mention the debate on exactly when Christ was born (again, certainly not
Christmas day, that was based on existing Roman holidays adopted by the
early Christians to avoid the small problems, like being thrown to lions,
associated with practicing an illegal religion in those early days).

Since "the new millenia" is totally arbitrary anyway, and even if it's
meaningful to you, in doubt by something like 3-5 years or more, hey,
celebrate the one you want. The popular "new millenia" date is the one
that'll have the most impact with the most people, anyway.

--
Dave Haynie  | V.P. Technology, Met@box Infonet, AG |  http://www.metabox.de
Be Dev #2024 | NB851 Powered! | Amiga 2000, 3000, 4000, PIOS One