Re: [OM] Tokina AT-X 80-200 f/2.8 - any good?

Subject: Re: [OM] Tokina AT-X 80-200 f/2.8 - any good?
From: "Wiese" <wiese@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 3 Jan 1999 10:16:04 +1100
My experience with this lens has also been good.  I bought mine several
months ago, and have used it generally in low light (the only time I can
remember shooting at anything other than f2.8 was testing it just after I
bought it).  I find there is some slight vignetting when shooting wide open,
but I only noticed in a shot of a double sheet of newsprint I put on my wall
for testing.  The lens is very sharp; the only problem I've had is that the
zoom ring tends to slip a little if the lens is pointed up or down; this
problem was much worse when I bought it, but some tightening of the small
screws under the rubber grip all but fixed this.

I like the one-touch design - I find it makes it easier to compose, focus
and shoot quickly (and with a winder, continuously).  Of course, even an
OM2n seems a beast with a winder 2 and this lens attached, but I've had good
results shooting f2.8 at 1/60th on a monopod, so the handling seems pretty
good to me.

Like John P., I've compared it to the Zuiko 135/2.8, and while the Zuiko is
a bit better wide open (IMO), stopped down a bit, there's little to split
the two (I wouldn't ever describe my tests as particularly scientific,
though).  I haven't experienced any of his 'leaking' problems (...yet....
WOOD! - I need some wood to knock!)

Cheers

Andy
wiese@xxxxxxxxxx
ICQ# 12366792

"Egyptian pharoahs fell from the sky...
Fell from the sky, and played the blues"