[OM] Re:My first OM lens addition for 10 years

Subject: [OM] Re:My first OM lens addition for 10 years
From: "Keith (R.K.) Berry" <keith_r.k.berry@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 3 Jan 1999 00:32:31 -0000
As a result of reading this list for a few weeks, my interest in my OM-2n
outfit has been re-awakened to the extent that just before Christmas, I set
off for a couple of the few camera dealers that still survive here in north
Birmingham (UK) to see what used items they had. The first had just an OM20,
no OM fitting lenses but what seemed to be a disproportionately high number
of Minolta s.l.r. bodies. The second shop had an OM-2 with 50/f1.8 at 165
UKP and four used Zuikos - every one of them 28/f2.8s, priced between 60 and
90 UKP. As I already have a seldom employed 28/f3.5 Zuiko, I was more
interested in a used OM fit Miranda MC 24/f2.8 with macro focussing down to
3 inches at 24 UKP. After examining it and finding no flaws, I bought it,
but was slightly peeved to have to pay 3 UKP for a new 52mm lens cap for it
as it didn't have one with it and they couldn't find a suitable one in their
box of old ones.

Today, at last, I caught a rare half hour of winter sunshine and tried it
out around nearby streets and canal. It's quite the shortest focal length
lens that I've ever used and I enjoyed the unfamiliar perspective, while
remembering from my Kiev 4 outfit days how to reduce unwanted converging
verticals - by mentally projecting myself standing in the scene and aligning
the centre of the rangefinder spot with 'my' eye level.

It is down to the Zuiko list that this lens is the first to be added to my
OM outfit for around ten years.

Best wishes for the New Year,

Keith    keith_r.k.berry@xxxxxxxxxx