[OM] cold weather OM's

Subject: [OM] cold weather OM's
From: "james olson" <james_olson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 11:40:17 PST
in a recent response to my cold weather troubles, it was suggested that
the camera be put in your jacket to keep warm. this would help, but when
it's quite cold, in about 3 to 4 minutes your self timer for mirror lock
up is worthless. during the christmas break, i was trying to photograph
eagles, and by the time i got my tripod set up, metered, bracketed,
self-timed, etc. my camera wouldn't work!    the battery fades very
quickly in the cold.  richard was correct, however, it is a battery
problem, not a camera problem.  a cold weather pack is the answer.

another cold question:  so when photographers shoot the iditarod, or
shoot in antarctica, they either hold their cameras in their jackets
continually, or guess the exposures with no meter and a mechanical
camera?  am i right in assuming that the OM cameras may be a little more
prone to battery failure in cold weather than other manufacurers?

cold related question:  isn't a OM-2n battery dependent?

the OM-1n and OM-3 series are the only 100% mechanical shutter cameras,
correct?

james.