Re: [OM] EV Ranges

Subject: Re: [OM] EV Ranges
From: Frank Ernens <fgernens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 1998 22:56:29 +1100
Wayne Harridge wrote:

> > Much as I hate to admit it, go the OM-2 or 2n. It is unsurpassed for long
> > time exposure in auto
> >
>         I saw somewhere (the FAQ maybe) that the maximum exposure time for
> the OM-2N is 2 minutes, however I tested my OM-2N and found that the shutter
> consistently closed after 3 min 48 sec with a body cap attached.  Is this
> normal or is my OM-2N faulty.

I don't think so. My OM2N also goes past 2 minutes, but exposures made
with it look correct down to 10-20s (as long as I have tried).
You can end the exposure by moving the switch from AUTO to OFF.

The 2 minutes may well be regulated by a capacitor, being before
the days of embedded CPUs, and some types of caps alter their
values with age. I imagine it is unrelated to the circuitry which
does the short timing.