Re: [OM] digital/chemical?

Subject: Re: [OM] digital/chemical?
From: Frank Ernens <fgernens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 1998 13:10:03 +1100
William Sommerwerck wrote:

> There is little doubt that enlargers will eventually be replaced by a
> combination scanner/laser-exposer. The advantages of doing away with the
> lens and digitally processing the image before printing are many and
> obvious.

Yesterday I saw the "Santa" booth in my local shopping mall. Santa
is now digital - no more Polaroids. The kiddies queue up to have
their picture taken while the parents supervise cropping and other
digital manipulation at the monitor. I imagine that they
order more copies (for Grandma etc.) once they see the result.
With the Polaroids the child would have to sit again, which, given
the queue, would be a lost sale. Negative film is, of course, no
good since this is an impulse buy.