RE: [OM] (Fwd) Of interest

Subject: RE: [OM] (Fwd) Of interest
From: "Roger Davies" <rdavies@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 1998 14:27:00 -0000
In the November issue of Practical Photography there's an interesting piece
on pro photographer Barry Lategan. I hadn't heard of him before reading the
article, but apparently his photographs of Twiggy in 1966 helped launch her
career, and he's worked for clients such as Häagen-Dazs, Pirelli (the 1988
calendar) and Guinness. "All very interesting", I hear you cry "but what
about the OM content?" Well, here's what he has to say about cameras...

"I'm happy to use new technology, but I'm not interested in gadgets for the
sake of it. I use a motordrive, for example, but it won't increase my
ability to take a picture, it's just useful because it helps me wind on the
film. The art is in the seeing, and the skill is the craft of that seeing,
and how you develop it."

"I use an Olympus OM-4 for my personal work, setting the exposure manually.
I work with the light that's there and, for the last 15 years, my favourite
optic has been a 35mm shift lens."

"It's good for me because the focal length corresponds with my angle of
vision, capturing what I see and some peripheral vision. The shift
capability, designed mainly for architectural photographers to avoid
converging verticals on buildings, allows me to shoot from a position which
equates to the centre of my stomach, not my eye - a viewpoint I like."

It would appear that he sometimes uses the OM-4 in his pro work too; the
article shows several examples, including three shots taken with the OM-4 on
assignments for L'Oreal and Vogue.

Roger Davies
Lisbon, Portugal