[OM] faster vs slower lenses

Subject: [OM] faster vs slower lenses
From: William Sommerwerck <williams@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 1998 18:56:00 -0800
When I wrote the questions that appeared in the "50 Photo Questions"
article in the October Pop Photo, one of them went something like this:

"True or False: A fast lens (such as an f/2) will give better
performance than a slower lens (such as an f/3.5) at the same aperture,
because the additional elements provide additional correction."

The "correct" answer is "false," because the faster lens has aberrations
that are not present (or aren't nearly as severe) in the slower lens.
The added elements are needed to correct these new aberrations; they do
little or nothing to help the other ones.

In practice, this does _not_ always seem to be true (which makes me
glad, because my Zuiko collection comprises the faster lenses).
Nevertheless, I'm wondering if there is some lens designer or optical
expert out there who can shed light (ar, ar) on this matter.