[OM] Re: Digital Photo & Printing

Subject: [OM] Re: Digital Photo & Printing
From: e3ujxj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 1998 17:57:57 -908758 (EST)

> I will simply add that on occasion one can attain a print from an Epson Color
> Stylus 800 and HP PhotoSmart scanner combo that is photo quality.  When it
> happens, it's magical.  And if folks haven't tried greyscale printing, do so.
> The magical moments happen even more often in B&W.

if we're talking arm's length viewing, i'll agree with you. the output
from the 800 onto glossy film is remarkable. but i have never seen a
print that will fool you as you get closer. especially in the lighter
areas, those lonely little dots sprinkled all over the place start
to become obvious. this weekend, i had a look at both the 700 and the
ALPS printer...though the problem was greatly reduced, it was still
there.

i wish i *could* find a photo-quality printer at a price i could
afford. i've gotten tired of playing with exposure, handing the film
over to the local 1-day shop, and getting back a set of prints with
all my careful experimentation stomped all over by their photo
printing software. i've taken shots bracketed by two stops on either
side of center (let's not start THAT war again) and had the prints
come back looking almost identical to one another. ARGH!

--
                                   | Napoleon wore a black hat
                       joe jackson | Ate lots of chicken
              e3ujxj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx | And conquered half Europe