[OM] circuit clarification; OM-2000 recommendation; Polaroid SLR 690

Subject: [OM] circuit clarification; OM-2000 recommendation; Polaroid SLR 690
From: William Sommerwerck <williams@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 06:47:41 -0800
"I'd also suggest adding a 0.1 uF ceramic capacitor to the input lead,
since that one will be quite long. Put the input capacitor as close as
possible to the IC."

People who don't know much about electronics are likely to misinterpret
this suggestion as meaning you should put the capacitor in series with
the lead. It goes _between_ the input lead and ground.

Another point... There is something to be said for building the
regulator circuit _into_ the adapter that fits into the camera. This
keeps the output lead lengths short and the capacitors close to both the
IC and the load.

The problem with recommending or not recommending the OM-2000 has
nothing to do with the camera, and everything to do with the viability
of the OM system.

The principal reason for buying an SLR with interchangeable lenses is
that you want to build a system tailored to your specific photographic
needs. (An IS-10 or -20 with a set of CU lenses and the teleadapter will
meet 900f most photographers' needs.) Buying into a system that might
not be around a few years from now might not be a good idea.

A friend of mine has two OM-2 bodies left to him by his father. He was
having trouble deciding whether he should buy OM-mount lenses, or get a
Nikon or Canon. After discussing this, we decided that even if the OM
system went belly-up "tomorrow," used OM equipment would be in demand
for at least the next couple of years, and he would not lose much money
(if any) in selling his OM equipment (if he wanted to). So he's buying
OM-mount lenses and other accessories.

Opinion? If I owned no photo equipment at all and wanted to put together
a substantial photographic outfit, I would be cautious about buying into
the OM system.

This is WAY off-topic, but it's something some readers might want to
know about.

The original Polaroid SX-70 is one of the most unusual -- yea, even unto
outrageous -- cameras ever designed. It's small enough to slip into a
coat pocket, or even the back pocket of your jeans, even though it's an
SLR! And it focuses down to 1:2 without any attachments. I had one of
the first ones, and you should have seen how people gathered 'round when
I took a picture in public.

The original SX-70 is no longer made, but Polaroid recently revived the
SLR 680 as the SLR 690. This model includes an electronic flash and
auto-focus module which destroy the original camera's elegant
compactness. Nevertheless, popping off a picture and handing it to
someone is one of the great pleasures in photography. If you don't own
one, you ought to.

Here's the punch line. The SLR-690 lists for $400. Right now, Polaroid
is offering a special price to the dealers, just for the heck of it.
(The 690 is _not_ being discontinued.) You can get it for $130 from B&H!
That's just $10 more than the original wholesale price of the SX-70.

Please don't write saying that Polaroid color materials do not produce
images as good as those of conventional slide and print film. I know
that. We're talking fun here (not to mention owning a unique piece of
photographic history).