Re: [OM] Graduated ND filters

Subject: Re: [OM] Graduated ND filters
From: duncanm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 09:53:15 +1000
Shawn Wright writes....

> Lately I have been shooting a lot of landscapes which I think could
benefit
> from a graduated ND filter, as I often see used by Galen Rowell and
others.

> Can anyone recommend a system to use for this purpose? I currently have
all
> 49mm lenses, although I would consider a 55mm filter holder to accomodate
> future :-) lenses...

Well,..
regardless of your lens sizes, it's best to have an ND filter you can
slide up and down (or side to side) to where you want it. You don't want
your composition dictated to you by your filter.

 I've got, and recommed, a Cokin P size holder. You can get adaptors
for all your lenses, and it'll work down to 24mm without vignetting
(though see below)

  One warning, though. Don't buy their cheap resin ND filters. They are
not neutral! (As I found out to my dismay when a whole bunch of velvia
I shot in the Peru a few years ago had purple-hued clouds).

  For the true ND filters, brands like Singh-ray always get a good mention,
As usual, you get what you pay for.

> Are there any filter systems which will work on the 21/3.5, and if so,
what
> size, if any, step-up ring do I need? A 2stop ND grad seems to be the
most
> common/useful - is this a fair assessment?

Hmm..
I think a cokin P _may_ do the job if you cut off the last slot on the
holder.
Certainly, 2-stop seems to be the most useful for me.

  The only major downside I can think of the cokin (and similar) systems,
is that you often need to manually shade the lens/filters when taking
shots.

     duncan