Re: [OM] Taming the wild lens test

Subject: Re: [OM] Taming the wild lens test
From: "Peter A. Klein" <pklein@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 1998 23:45:40 -0800
At 08:48 PM 12/12/98 -0600, Dave wrote, re. my testing my lenses by shootin
the stock market pages of a newspaper:

>Interesting post.  Have you tested any third party lenses using your system,
>and if so, could you share your observations with us?

Sorry, no.  I've tested my Zuikos this way, but I don't own any third party
lenses.

I didn't do things so methodically in the early '80s when I got my last
outfit.  It was an old Leica IIIf (screw mount, vintage 1950). The lenses
were a 50mm Nikkor f/1.4 (the model that covered the Korean War), and Leitz
35mm Summaron f/3.5 and 90mm Elmar f/4.  I was always pleased with the
quality of the pictures I took.  They were as good or better than as any
late 1960s-early 1970s SLR lenses I'd experienced back then, with the
possible exception of the best Nikkors (subjective opinion).  They weren't
quite as good as a Leitz 50mm Summicron or 90mm Tele-Elmarit for the
M-series, but nothing to be ashamed of.

I have some test slides from back then on Kodachrome 64, but they are of a
shelf of colored notebooks at a camera store, with various sized print on
the spines. Nothing as small as the stock pages.  Apples and oranges again.

I wouldn't venture a guess whether the 50s Leica lenses or the 70s/80s
Zuikos are "better."  I haven't had the Zuikos long enough, and it won't
stop *raining* here so I can get out and shoot in some decent light.
----