[OM] Re: Moonrise, Hernandez (was "Best six dollars" etc.)

Subject: [OM] Re: Moonrise, Hernandez (was "Best six dollars" etc.)
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 1998 18:55:10 -0600
At 08:48 AM 12/11/1998 -0800, George you wrote:

>BTW, I meant to fill in the blank in Charles' original msg, it was
>Moonrise over ....
>Hernandez.  New Mexico.  In fact, the story of how he made that negative
>is interesting in light of this discussion.  Briefly, it was almost
>sunset when he found the scene, so he had little time.  He 'quickly' set
>up his 8x10 and loaded a sheet film holder.  Then couldn't find his
>light meter.  Since the light was almost gone, he exposed relying on his
>memory of the proper exposure for a full moon (which happens to be
>basically sunny f/16, altho he put it in terms of lumens).  Then he
>turned the sheet film holder around to expose the 2nd sheet, but the
>light was gone.  I don't know if he was going to bracket that 2nd sheet.
><g>  His results show what is possible in by making only one exposure if
>you know what you're doing.
>
>George

Hi George,

I recollect reading, however, that he later used Farmer's reducer on this
negative to bring down the density of the foreground. He sure nailed the
moon though.

It is a great story.  Nothing against it, it's not my favorite of his
shots. Still, it makes me wish I had one of those old woodies with a tripod
platform.  I think of that everytime I climb into the back of my pickup and
set the tripod on the cab.

Joel