Re: [OM] Excess Olympus Stuff For Sale

Subject: Re: [OM] Excess Olympus Stuff For Sale
From: "R. Lee Hawkins" <lhawkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 1998 15:23:36 -0500
Cc: lhawkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
In your message dated: Thu, 03 Dec 1998 09:57:10 PST you write:
>>Oh, ok, sorry.  I jumped to a hasty conclusion.  I apologize.  However,
>>I almost had a heart attack when I read that you paid $436.
>
>Lest by silence I perpetuate a myth, I personally did not pay $436 for this
>camera. I bought this as part of a large system from someone who was
>switching to medium format. This camera included the original receipt to
>the person I bought it from -- HE paid $436 for it in May. I included that
>information so that if someone wanted one bad enough to start calling
>dealers, he'd know what he was in for.

Woah.  As far as I am concerned, no OM-2 ever built (including the -2S)
is worth $436...

>about a quarter of what I paid for the lot, so I'm not trying to pull any
>fast ones on the list members.

Yep, I apologized again.  I jumped to a hasty conclusion.

>BTW: the OM-2n in question was one of the first items to go. Guess my price
>WAS fair!

$275 is certainly a fair price for one in near-new condition.  However,
even *brand new* I can't imagine ever paying more than $300 for one.
Then again, my cameras don't make me any money.  If I were a pro, I'd
probably have a different standard.  Also, I don't have any objections
to buying well worn stuff, as long as it is functionally in excellent
shape.  An OM-2n that you pay $150 for that has a lot of brassing (or
even $75, a deal I found at the PHSNE show last year) but still is
mechanically good takes pictures every bit as good as a mint one.  In
fact, I'd argue that something well used but not heavily worn out is a
safer buy than a camera that has hardly been used.  Barely used cameras
haven't had time to display any inherent problems, while something that
has been reliable for a few hundred rolls is likely to remain so.  3-4
rolls through a camera are not enough to judge its long term ruggedness.

Cheers,
--Lee