Re[2]: [OM] Re: Syquest Sparq

Subject: Re[2]: [OM] Re: Syquest Sparq
From: Dave Haynie <dhaynie@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 1998 00:05:53 -0500 (EST)
On Tue, 1 Dec 1998 15:42:21 EST, Scj9000@xxxxxxx jammed all night, and by
sunrise was overheard remarking:

> The reason the SparQ's intrigued me was that you could get away from EVER
> having to add another fixed drive.....hence no conflicts with other hard
> drives. etc.

Yup -- same reason I had the old 40MB Syquest cart drive on my Amiga
3000.

> I have loved both my SparQ's since last Christmas and have loaded up
> on 10 discs so i should be set for quite a while.

As you like the drives, and there really isn't anything wrong with them
as long as they work, I would recommend [to anyone] that you consider
picking up a backup drive, just in case. If Syquest really does go under,
and you SparQ breaks, that's horrible news for all the data accumulated.
I check on NetBuyer, just out of curiosity, and found the parallel-port
version as cheap as $26 (obviously a panic closeout of some kind), and a
few in the $40-$60 range. I suspect the prices fluctuate wildly right
now, since there's nothing but FUD at the moment. If someone does pick
up Syquest's assets, or they reorganize on their own, this will probably
mean continuation of the SparQ, but prices go back up.

I would pick up another, if I intended to make much more use of mine.

--
Dave Haynie  | V.P. Technology, Met@box Infonet, AG |  http://www.metabox.de
Be Dev #2024 | NB851 Powered! | Amiga 2000, 3000, 4000, PIOS One