[OM] macro lenses for astrophotography

Subject: [OM] macro lenses for astrophotography
From: William Sommerwerck <williams@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 1998 06:13:15 -0800
"Never use a macro lens for astrophotography since they are flat field
lens. While this is exactly what you want for macro photography it is
exactly what you DON'T want for the stars."

The "logic" of this escapes me.

All lenses show some degree of field curvature. * That is, the plane of
focus for a flat object is not flat -- at some points it falls in front
of or behind the correct plane. Since macro lenses are often used for
copy work, the designer tries to keep the field curvature to a minimum,
especially at closer distances.

I can't see what this has to do with photographing the sky, unless the
reduced field curvature at close distance is "paid for" by increased
field curvature at infinity. I would try both lenses and see what
happens.

* When I say "all" I mean "most common." Lenses designed for process
photography might very well have "zero" curvature for specific distances
or magnifications.