Re: [OM] Zuiko 180mm f4 1:1 Macro Available!

Subject: Re: [OM] Zuiko 180mm f4 1:1 Macro Available!
From: Jan Steinman <jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 09:43:38 -0800
>From: "R. Lee Hawkins" <lhawkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>In your message dated: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 13:35:55 PST you write:
>>... the rear-element
>>protection tab on the 90/2 gets in the way. However, you don't really need
>>this tab...
>
>I was under the impression that these "protection tabs" also served as
>light baffles.  Or am I just imagining that? :)

If so, I am "baffled" :-) on how it accomplishes this. It is offset to one
side, which would possibly shield one SBC cell on an OM-2, but nothing in
particular on a 3 or 4. And what about the other side -- is there some
reason the designers just decided to let light bounce around on the other
side?

I checked all my Zuikos. The 90/2 was the only one bigger than 50mm that
had this tab. All my Zuikos 50 and under have it, EXCEPT the 35/2, which
would seem odd if it were a baffle, but the rear element on the 35/2 is
slightly recessed, which might provide the needed baffling, OR it might not
need protection.

No non-Zuiko lens I've seen of any size has this tab, including a Viv
wide-angle and several with protruding rear elements that need protection!

: Jan Steinman <mailto:jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
: 19280 Rydman Court, West Linn, OR 97068-1331 USA
: +1.503.635.3229