[OM] How to Use DOF Preview Botton?

Subject: [OM] How to Use DOF Preview Botton?
From: "Chen_TC" <chen_tc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 16 Nov 1998 10:23:24 -0500
Joel wrote:

<I usually figure DOF from the lens markings.  Once in a blue moon I
do push the button and try to see if I can see what is in focus but at the
smaller stops it is just too dark to show much.>

I always wonder how useful of this little DOF preview botton is. Like Joel, I
figure DOF from the lens markings because I can't see the effect through the
lens.  Yes, it is too dark to "see" at the smaller stops.  Even with lens set
at wider aperture (like f1.4), I still can't see any "focusing" difference
between the in focus subject and the supposedly blurred background through the
lens.

Any comment on how to use DOF preview correctly?

Best regards,

T C Chen