[OM] hand-held magnifiers; extension tubes

Subject: [OM] hand-held magnifiers; extension tubes
From: William Sommerwerck <williams@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 06:38:57 -0800
About 25 years ago I bought an Emoskope from Modern Photography. (It
cost around $20 then.) It has three components that can be combined in
various ways to produce a 3X telescope or magnifiers in the range of 5X
to 30X. Mine came with a leather carrying case and a plastic tube to
support the unit at higher magnifications.

The quality is good -- no color fringing, and an almost-flat field at
the higher magnifications.

I forget the current name of the Emoskope, but Haverhill's
(1-800-797-7367) sells it for around $60 to $70. They have the usual
Haverhill's deal -- buy two, get one free. (They don't seem to have a
Web site, and I can't find a current ad for the Emoskope -- though
they've been advertising this product quite heavily -- so I can't give
you any further info.)

Edmund Scientific also sells a wide variety of magnifiers. They have
some inexpensive ones ($15-$20) mounted in aluminum tubes. They aren't
quite as good as the Emoskope, but they're okay.

I have a set of Vivitar extension tubes, which are okay. (The stop-down
rings are reasonably low in friction, but the mounts are a bit stiff.)
They're 20+ years old -- I don't know if Vivitar still makes them for
the OM mount.