[OM] Best buy, was: chat with Olympus person

Subject: [OM] Best buy, was: chat with Olympus person
From: Richard Schaetzl <Richard.Schaetzl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 1998 11:01:43 +0100
Denton Taylor wrote:

> In the US, we pay less than Europe, right?

There is no law enforcing this. In fact it depends a lot on exchange
rates and company policies.
I guess, the last price increase of Olympus USA, leveled the difference
to Europe.

> I don't know about right now,
> but the USA usually has the lowest prices on photo and electronic gear,
> maybe with the exception of Hong Kong.

I was not to impressed with the price level in Hong Kong.
My observation is, that I can get very competive prices in Germany too.

> Japan has a famously inefficient retail sector...

Tomoko wouldn´t have bought some Olympus stuff in Tokyo, if it would
have been cheaper in New York.

There are some, in my opinion, urban myths about places where you can
get expensive products very cheap, like HK, NY and Singapore.
Of course tourism manager likes to feed this rumors for obvious reasons.

Regards

Richard