Re: [OM] Spot measuring (was:OM-2000 queries)

Subject: Re: [OM] Spot measuring (was:OM-2000 queries)
From: "Mark Hammons" <astair@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 20:02:39 -0600
>> You wouldnt want OM-2Sp type spot metering on anything but manual.  Having
>> it as manual
>> allows you to choose where to
>> meter.  Having it on Auto or Program would force the center portion of your
>> photo to be
>> where you wanted to meter, which is
>
>Why? What is the difference in that case? In my 4T, I take spot readings
>in auto mode from various regions by centering to that region, and then
>shoot in the composition that I want. All in auto mode.

If OM-2Sp spot metering does NOT allow the camera to "MEMORIZE" a spot reading
like
the OM-3(t) and OM-4(T[i]) cameras do -- that is to say its spot meter is
working all the
time -- even up until when you compose your picture.  Thus, on AUTO or Program
it would
always force you to expose on the center of the composition, which kind of
destroys the
whole rational behind spot metering.

One, I guess, could argue that the OM-2Sp should have had a button that allowed
one to
lock the exposure.  I don't know the story behind why it didn't but I'll bet it
had to do
with Marketing :-)

>> not always the case.  I use the spot when photographing scenes with grass in
>> it as I
>> measure off the grass which is usually
>> not in the center of my composition.
>
>Of course. But what does it have to do with manual mode?

In manual you can meter on whatever you want to meter and the fact that is is
manual
"Locks" the exposure for you.  You then compose and shoot.

>> Mark Hammons
>

>OMer Gerek

Mark Hammons