Re: [OM] Spot measuring (was:OM-2000 queries)

Subject: Re: [OM] Spot measuring (was:OM-2000 queries)
From: "Mark Hammons" <astair@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 07:39:39 -0600
>>The spot metering is limited to a single real time spot reading ala the
>>OM-2SP.
>>
>>Regards,
>>John Austin
>

>Hi John
>
>I don´t know if this is a stupid question or not (it probably is stupid), but
>I´ve been
thinking about this real time (continuous measuring) spot reading of the OM-2SP
and
OM2000. Is it possible only on manual cameras (or in manual mode on auto
cameras as on
OM-2SP)? I really can´t see why it couldn´t be engageable also in aperture or
shutter
speed preferred auto mode as well. It would probably be less suitable for
programmed
exposure modes since this is mainly for snapshots.
>I think I´ve also read that the spot measuring is more exact with a somewhat
>smaller spot
area on OM-2SP than on OM2000. Is it because the measured area in OM-2SP
actually is
smaller than the outer micro prism circle on the focusing screen (and larger on
OM2000)?

>Per Nordenberg

You wouldnt want OM-2Sp type spot metering on anything but manual.  Having it
as manual
allows you to choose where to
meter.  Having it on Auto or Program would force the center portion of your
photo to be
where you wanted to meter, which is
not always the case.  I use the spot when photographing scenes with grass in it
as I
measure off the grass which is usually
not in the center of my composition.

Mark Hammons