Re: [OM] Tip for cleaning the shutter magnet on OM10

Subject: Re: [OM] Tip for cleaning the shutter magnet on OM10
From: "Shawn Wright" <swright@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 7 Nov 1998 21:28:31 -0800
On 13 Oct 98, at 10:43, Stuart Goggin wrote:

> I bought a broken OM 10 on the weekend and set about fixing it.  In the of
> fixing an oil on the shutter magnet problem I ran into a few problems.   The
> body I have is probably one of the last OM10s made.  In this body there is a
> flex circuit above the shutter magnet. Getting to the face of the magnet to
> clean it is very very hard because of the circuit.   Not wanting to do too
> much messing with the body I tried various techniques to reach the magnet.
> Cotton buds are way too big to reach.

What the s/n of this OM-10? Of the two I have, only the older one has this
flex circuit over the magnet. The newer one (s/n 249xxxx) has the magnet
wide open and nearer the front.

> The easiest was a fine artists paint brush dipped in solvent.   This reached
> the magnet without removing the circuit.   The camera is now working without
> the oil on the magnet exposure problem.

I used thick paper dipped in brake cleaner, slid between the contacts, but
your method may be more effective. What did you use to verify the shutter
speeds?

Shawn & Janis Wright
swright@xxxxxxxxx
http://Zuiko.sls.bc.ca/~swright