Re: [OM] 200/4 Lens Hood

Subject: Re: [OM] 200/4 Lens Hood
From: Gary Schloss <schloss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 1998 12:52:41 -0800
Paul Schings wrote:

>I have a 200/4 Zuiko which [...] has remained in remarkably good shape,
>with one exception. The built in lens hood has some severe paint flaking
>on it.  I've been thinking about removing the hood and refinishing it.
>Does anyone know how to remove these hoods?

Yes, it's actually very simple:  hold on to the lower ribbed part of the
hood assembly, and unscrew the top smooth-finished cylinder.  That's it.
The bad news is that this very simple part is no longer available from
Olympus USA, although the lens itself is still sold new. :-(

WARNING!!!  NON-OLY CONTENT FOLLOWS!!!  PROCEED WITH EXTREME CAUTION!!!

Paul Schings also wrote:

>Am I crazy?

Do you really care to hear the true answer to THAT?  :-)
Hmm, let's see.  Pls, lay down on the virtual couch, relax, and try to
respond to the following  questions:

(a) were you an active participant in the recent forrays on this list
    into the depths of the Latin alphabet? (letters "T" and "i" last
    week, letter "F" this week; colors, fonts, and punctuation signs
    are sure to follow; OM phonetics, anyone? :-))

(b) are you constantly attemping to "improve" things that ain't broken?
    (in other words, are you an engineer? :-))

(c) are you obsessive-compulsive about lens coatings, "bokeh", or
    OM-5/6 (e.g., do you periodically compile... uhm, lists or petitions
    on any of these subjects :-))?

(d) do you have the urge to drive from NYC to the North Pole, or fly
    from Europe/US to Tokyo, or walk barefoot across the Sahara desert,
    risking innumerable cultural and linguistic barriers -- in order
    to save a few $$$'s, or even hundreds of $$$'s, on Zuiko exotica?

(e) have you retained a lawyer in every major city/country? is your
    favorite domestic pet a shark, a scorpion, or a poisonous snake? :-)

(e) is your name absent from "Der Schlossmeister's" constantly growing
    list of blissfully satisfied Zuikoholic customers? (HUGE ;-) here!!,
    aka <vbg>, smiley face, LOL, etc.)

If you had answered "yes" to one or more of the above, you should see
me twice a week for soothing injections of common sense.  All major
currencies, as well as most OLY/OM/Zuiko components are accepted as
payment. :-)

Cheers,

/Gary Schloss.
Studio City, CA