Re: [OM] Zuiko 35-70/f3.6 (was "200mm f5 vs. 100mm f2.8 & 2XA")

Subject: Re: [OM] Zuiko 35-70/f3.6 (was "200mm f5 vs. 100mm f2.8 & 2XA")
From: Clive Warren <Clive.Warren@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 98 12:24:22 GMT
>Date: Sat, 31 Oct 1998 19:53:10 -0800
>From: "Peter A. Klein" <pklein@xxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: Re: [OM] Zuiko 35-70/f3.6 (was "200mm f5 vs. 100mm f2.8 & 2XA")

Snippety Snip

>What reasonably-priced third-party zooms give acceptable performance (for a
>reasonably discerning photographer) on Olympus bodies?  I know that some
>zoom lenses from the 70s are real dogs, and some newer, manual focus zooms
>are more competitive with the camera manufacturer's lenses.
>
>But which ones?  Has anyone compiled a list?  Experience and opinions
>welcome!
>- ----
>                                  :    -----==3==      ---      ---
>       - Peter

Peter,

It would be hard to beat the older 35-80 f2.8 Tamron SP both in terms of
image quality and cost.  It is a little heavy though.

The results from this lens constantly amaze me.  There is an OM2N workhorse
always carried around with this lens attached.  The same small bag now also
contains a 200mm f5 SC and a 50mm f3.5 macro.

The Tamron lens is also has a reasonable macro facility.  The one on the
camera cost me about $5 - bought another one in mint condition about 2
years ago for $40.  Get one now before they are mentioned on Gary S's lens
list and become unaffordable ;-)

All the best,

              Clive   http://clive.bel-epa.com