Re: [OM] Zuiko 35-70/f3.6 (was "200mm f5 vs. 100mm f2.8 & 2XA")

Subject: Re: [OM] Zuiko 35-70/f3.6 (was "200mm f5 vs. 100mm f2.8 & 2XA")
From: "Peter A. Klein" <pklein@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 1998 19:53:10 -0800
>At 03:49 PM 10/31/1998 -0500, John wrote:

>>To be sure, I have never used the 35-70/3.5-4.5 that many seem to be
>>enamored with.  However, the only reason that I could tell the
>>difference between pics taken with the 35-70/3.6 and the 90/2 macro is
>>the fact that I took the pictures myself.  I sold the 3.6 only because
>>its lack of true speed compromised its utility in situations where I
>>would have liked it to shine (e.g., indoor portraiture, stage/theater
>>photography, etc.).  I have replaced it with the Vivitar Series I
>>35-85/2.8 VariFocal, supposedly until I can afford a Zuiko 35-80/2.8.

. . .  and Joel asked:

>How do you like the Viv 35-85 in comparison to the Zuiko 35-70/3.6?

I would also be interested in that comparison between the Vivitar Zoom and
the Zuiko zoom.  But this brings up another, broader question.

What reasonably-priced third-party zooms give acceptable performance (for a
reasonably discerning photographer) on Olympus bodies?  I know that some
zoom lenses from the 70s are real dogs, and some newer, manual focus zooms
are more competitive with the camera manufacturer's lenses.

But which ones?  Has anyone compiled a list?  Experience and opinions
welcome!
----