[OM] potential lawsuit; Olympus "impressions"

Subject: [OM] potential lawsuit; Olympus "impressions"
From: William Sommerwerck <williams@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 09:19:43 -0800
Quite frankly, if I learnnd that a supposed offer for sale was actually
a private auction, I would have backed away so fast that warp 9 would
look slow. Nor would I have allowed the seller to constantly "bid me up"
by claiming -- without proof -- that someone had offered more.

Mr. Steinman has clearly been snockered. But to say

> If by some chance, you have made a deal with Mr. Cloutier to purchase this
> equipment, please contact me directly, and perhaps we can work something
> out between us. I have nothing against you personally, but am prepared to
> spend many times the value of the equipment in enforcing this agreement,
> and the party purchasing the equipment from Mr. Cloutier will most likely
> be named in the suit.

is absolutely outrageous. The other buyer almost certainly knew nothing
about this, and to threaten an innocent party with a lawsuit is beneath
contempt. I don't blame Mr. Steinman for being outrageously angry, but
you don't take it out on someone who was not party to the offense. The
equipment in question is hardly stolen war booty.

Some months ago I was talking with a friend who wanted to buy a Leica --
not just for pictures, but to impress a German businessman-friend when
he stepped off the plane.

But Leicas are so "common." How about a plain (motorless) Olympus OM-3T
with the 18/3.5? Now, _that_ should impresss people!