Re: [OM] OLY flashes for portrait work

Subject: Re: [OM] OLY flashes for portrait work
From: VELUWEH@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 04:58:58 -0500
David B wrote:

>Has anyone used T32 or T45 flashes on brollies? I am interested in
doing
>a bit of indoor portrait work (stop giggling, it's with my son) and
>would like something a bit softer than normal or bounced flash. Are OLY
>flashes powerful enough for type of use?
>Any practical advice from anyone who has done this sort of thing would
>be most gratefully received.

The T32 is more than powerful enough to shoot through an umbrella. It
costs you maybe two stops, reducing its GN to 16, but this is still a
lot considering the distance from the subject is only a couple of
meters and the smallest aperture you're probably are going to use is
F8. Using a 100 ASA film this will allow a flash distance of 2 m.
Besides using a commercially available photography umbrella on a
special stand you can also use a real umbrella (a white one, of course)
and attach it to a tripod together with the T32. I have done this (used
some kind of clamp and boom stand that came from a bicycle imperial).
It saves you money that you can spend on Zuikos :-)

Hans