[OM] Solid roll bar

Subject: [OM] Solid roll bar
From: Patrick Greenlee <patrickg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 1998 08:47:10 -0700
Scott,
        I assume you meant strong, not solid roll bars.  For the same
weight, there is more strength in tubing than solid bar.  I'm not too sure
that welding to the thing wherever is convenient for fitting reasons is a
good idea.  Doubler plates (like GIANT washers) to spread the stresses can
be welded or bolted to relatively large surfaces.  The roll bars weld or
bolt to the doubler plates.
        If you just weld the roll bars to whatever is convenient they are
likely to tear loose if they ever have to do their job.  Try to visit a
shop that preps offroad racers or even stock cars/hot rods and have a look
at their technique.  The vast majority of rollbars that I have seen on
street vehicles would not pass tech inspection at a sanctioned event.  They
look good and may even be strong but are usually firmly attached to
"sunshine".

Patrick