Re[2]: [OM] multiple flash

Subject: Re[2]: [OM] multiple flash
From: Dave Haynie <dhaynie@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 1998 16:19:45 -0400 (EDT)
On Fri, 23 Oct 1998 11:01:30 -0700, Ralph Nitschke
<Ralph_Nitschke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> jammed all night, and by sunrise was overheard
remarking:

> Oh, and one last question - Hans mentioned using a "diffuser/wide angle
> adapter recommended in case of portraits".  When adding diffusers or
> umbrellas with TTL/OTF do I have to worry about calculating the flash
> strength or exposure?

Yes and no. For a properly exposed shot, technically speaking, OTF frees
you from needing to worry about these sort of things, at least as long
as all flashes are controlled by the camera. Basically, light goes until
the camera says "enough", then it stops. It doesn't matter all that much
how the light gets there. I haven't done that kind of light calculation
since I left my OM-1 for an OM-4.

Compositionally, of course, you do need to care, since the camera is
going to kill the flash based on "enough light", but necessarily the
same "enough" you're after. This is rarely much of an issue with a
single flash, except maybe for fill-in. But it's trickier with multiple
flash setups. Even moreso if you're using any slave flashes (units
triggered by the main unit but not controlled by the camera). Here, you
have to do the basic light calculations for the manual units. And these
need to be manual units, if they're not tapping off the OTF metering
cutoff. When I've done this, I have used a few Sunpaks I have with
dial-in fractional exposure and diffusers. The camera sees the slaves
just as ordinary ambient light.

--
Dave Haynie  | V.P. Technology, Met@box Infonet, AG |  http://www.metabox.de
Be Dev #2024 | NB851 Powered! | Amiga 2000, 3000, 4000, PIOS One