Re: [OM] Re: Pen D ??'s

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: Pen D ??'s
From: Gary Schloss <schloss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 1998 20:02:13 -0800
Buddy Walters wrote:

>Stumbled across a "Pen D" today.  McBrooms does not list it in the Pen
>section, so I am wondering why.  Come to think about it, I did not try
>to take off the lens.  Was this model "fixed" lens?  I don't remember
>the ??mm but it did say f1.9.  I got the back off, and it is 1/2 frame.

AFAIK, McBroom's only lists the Pen SLR system: F, FT, and FV bodies,
all lenses and accessories.  The D's are fixed-lens viewfinder type
cameras.

>Does anyone know anything about this little jewel.  Date of Mfg, value,
>etc.? It was very solid and in pretty good shape.  For only $79.00 USD.
>I may bite!

The D's were top-of-the-line Pens. The original D and D2 had a 32/f1.9
Zuiko lens.  The D had a selenium meter, while the D2 has a CdS meter
(needs a PX625 Hg battery).  The D3 is almost identical to D2, but has
a faster 32/f1.7 lens. In all three the meter is uncoupled.

Finally, there's the Pen EED which has the same fast f1.7 lens in a
programmed shutter (manual exposures at 1/15 sec. only). Its body is
slightly larger than the other fixed-lens Pens (same size as 35RC),
and it has a hot shoe and a self-timer.

The $79 price tag is IMHO very fair.  These often command $100 and up.

Cheers,

/Gary Schloss.
Studio City, CA
schloss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx