[OM] Zuiko 50 test. Which lens ?

Subject: [OM] Zuiko 50 test. Which lens ?
From: "Angel Lobo Caballero" <angel.lobo@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 1998 00:39:34 +0200
Cc: <angel.lobo@xxxxxxxxxx>
Hi all.

Sometimes I say the "50mms chapter" is very important for me:
The differents models (1.2, 1.4 and 1.8); differents
editions,(Elements/groups) the single or multi coated...
or the internal construction of every one.

Some people brings the results of the tests from Pop. Phot.
or Mod. Phot., but with the habit of design a lens multi coated as MC (with
capital letters) we can´t identify which
lens is.

When Shawn Weber brings us the tests of " 6 Zuiko 50 mms",
-thanks Shawn-,  we can´t identify the "50 mms 1.8  MC" or
the "50 mms 1.4 MC" with a lens that we can get in the market.

There are two Zuiko 50mms 1.4 multi coated in the market and there are two
differents Zuiko 50 1.8 multi coated in the market too: (the "MC"and the
"made in Japan"). Between these two lenses there are a lot of differences
concerning the kind of
 multi coating, the plastic or metal material of some pieces,
 the year of manufacture, the serial numbers... and the quality of the lens
in terms of definition, flare, distortion, etc.

This summer I buy a 50mms 1.8 "MC" to a friend on the
List and he sends me a 50mms 1.8 "made in Japan" (multi
coated too), but I guess a lens very different. Only one of the
two lenses have MC engraved in the front ring.

This is the reason for suggest to name a lens with the ori-
ginal designation engraved on  the front ring of the lens:

        F. Zuiko  AUTO - S  1.8  (Chrome)
        F. Zuiko  AUTO - S  1.8  (Black)
        ZUIKO  MC  AUTO - S 1.8
        ZUIKO  AUTO - S  made in Japan

        or

        G. ZUIKO  AUTO - S  1.4 (Chrome)
        G. ZUIKO  AUTO - S  1.4 (Black)
        ZUIKO  MC  AUTO - S 1.4
        ZUIKO  AUTO - S  1.4  Japan ...

I don´t read  the Mod. Phot. or Pop. Phot. magazines of the
past, but the british magazine Amateur Photographer in every
test of a Zuiko lens in the 70´s and 80´s  shows the picture
of the lens tested and we can know the external signs (front
ring) of this lens.

Does anybody know from the magazines which model (front ring) correspond to
the lenses tested in the FAQ ?

Gary, you bring the tests from Modern Photography
on Mars, 28 / 1998 :

        50/1.8 MC (MP ?/??)
        50 1.4 MC (MP 6/87)
        50 1.4 MC (MP 5/84)

Can you read on the magazines the words and numbers
engraved on the front ring of these lenses ?

Does anybody observe some differences between the
two lenses 50 1.8 multi coated and the two 50 1.4 multi
coated ?

Thanks.

Ángel Lobo
CUENCA (Spain)