Re: [OM] Re: T-32 vs. Auto 310

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: T-32 vs. Auto 310
From: PCACala@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 03:10:21 EDT
Ken writes:

> How do you tell if there is oil on the aperture blades?

Just look at them while manually stopping down the lens.  Be sure to look
through both ends of the lens.  It will be obvious.

> I just got a 55/f1.2 and it seems to overexpose. I'm not sure if the problem
is the lens or it is 'a problem with pilot in the cockpit'

I would expect the same from any lens that has strong vignetting at maxiumum
aperture, like the 35mm f/2.0   At f/1.2, this 50mm lens doesn't have as even
a coverage over the frame as it would at f/2 or f/2.8 or f/4.0.  You are
metering at f/1.2, so at smaller taking apertures you are theoretically
getting incorrect exposures (overexposure).  One solution is to use the
exposure compensation dial when mounting a strongly vignetting lens.  Another
is to rely on spot metering, since the center of the lens isn't perceptably
affected.

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV