Re: [OM] Oktoberfest Sale / M Quartz Remote Control

Subject: Re: [OM] Oktoberfest Sale / M Quartz Remote Control
From: PCACala@xxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 1998 13:28:14 EDT
ONLYOLYBW writes:

> Still a little confused;  Shipman on pages 141 & 140 of Ed. 1987 & 1989
state
>  that the M Quartz Remote Control Intervalometer "uses household current".
>  Have we found 'God Forbid' an error from Shipman?  Is this the same unit
> still
>  currently offered i.e. by B&H?  Were there 2 versions, one battery & one
AC?
>  Learning something new every day!  From this list.

Going chronologically through my various editions of Shipman's OM System
books, I venture to guess that he got careless in recycling his text between
editions.  There were interim products that were add ons to the M.AC Control
Box.  They were perhaps part of Olympus' Microscope Division.  By January
1987's Olympus OM System brochure (the finely detailed, comprehensive, grey
cover one), Olympus had marketed the M. Quartz Remote Controller 1, which
provided all the functions in one small unit.  That is the same that B&H sells
for $160.  At any rate, Shipman never seemed to get the text edited right to
correctly describe the M. Quartz Remore Controller 1.

Incidently, mine is now sold.  I priced it closer to what it would have cost
new if Olympus hadn't spiked it's prices on us.

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV