RE: [OM] Camberwell Photo Market Report

Subject: RE: [OM] Camberwell Photo Market Report
From: Dr Peter Gilbert <peterg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 15:05:36 +1000
I too made the trek from Geelong to Camberwell last Sunday for the photo
market and was rather pleased with my haul of OM goodies. (Prices in $Aus -
divide by 2 to get $US). It was about a 90 min drive but worth it I think.

I picked up...

a mint copy of an issue of Vision Age (about 1991 I think) for 50 cents

three OM body caps @$2 each
a mint condition OM PowerPack 2 for $40   (for illum lights in my T8 and
T28 units).
an OM shoe 4 (with obligatory cracks thrown in at no exta cost!!!)
a mint black OM-2n body  (I'm in love......)
a couple of mini ball heads
OpTech camera strap $10
couple of assorted (non- olympus) cases to fit my OM and Metz flash units

I saw an SCA 321 adaptor for OM-4/T at the same stand as the OM-4Ti
mentioned in an earlier post but they wanted $60 (pretty scratched up, no
manual, box etc). I had a look at the OM-4Ti and it was in really nice
condition as far as I could tell, but I didn't bother to ask the price
based on the ridiculous price of the flash adaptor. When I went back the
OM4Ti had gone. If someone only paid $500 for it they got a real bargain
(assuming the electronics were OK).

I was a little disappointed (but not really suprised) that there wasn't
more OM gear at the market. There was a distinct shortage of good, zuiko
lenses. The few that were there were pretty rough, or very expensive. As
Foxy indicated, quite a few OM-10. I did see a Bounce Grip 1 for $100, and
a few Winder 2 for $95. I also saw an XA2 in box with instructions and the
attached special flash unit. It was about $100, but I don't know anything
about them so don't know if that was a good price. I saw a few of the Oly
35mm rangefinder cameras (Pen EE? Pen F?), but again, I don't know which
ones are "desirable" or collectible and I was busy scavenging for OM gear
sorry.

to continue my OM treasure hunt, yesterday in a Melb Photo shop I stumbled
across....

a genuine Oly hood for my Zuiko 35-105 and one for my Zuiko 35-70 lens.

I also snapped up a copy of Volume One of the hard-back Olympus "One Moment
of the World" book, with slip cover and misc paper inserts.

For those of you who may not be familiar with the "One Moment...."
project, it was apparently a  project started by Olympus to mark the 150th
anniversary of photography back in (I think 1983). Olympus invited 150 pro
photographers from around the world to take a photo or photos at eactly the
same time (within a couple of minutes), all around the world, and write a
short essay about why they chose the subject they did, and what it meant to
them. There are also a couple of chapters on Maitani, OM design concepts,
interviews etc, a bit like the OM Lens Handbook. I don't think the
photographers had to use OM gear.

I already have Issues 2 and 3, but now I have Issue
1........aaahhhhh....... life is good. Does anyone know how many Volumes
were done in total?

But I digress, back to the photo market and the new love of my life....

I already have an OM-1n (chrome) which I have had for 18 years and three
Om-4Ti's (1 black, two champagne), but I have wanted an OM-2n for a long
time. To find a black one in mint condition (well almost - the battery
cover and winder coupling covers have  scratch marks but the body and back
are perfect) was pretty exciting.

Don't get me wrong - the OM-4Ti is a great tool, fantastic light metering
system etc etc and I guess technically a "better" camera, but the feel of
the OM-2n in the hand just can't be beaten - it it a real piece of art, a
classic, and an absolute joy!

My only gripes with the 2n would be that the meter scale is a lot harder to
see in dim lighting than the display in the 4Ti, and I just know that
eventually I will forget to turn off the meter in the OM-2n and kill the
batteries.....

I think that for the benefit of ones photographic soul, there could surely
be nothing better than packing a small photo bag with an OM-1 and/or OM-2
and a couple of fast Zuiko primes and just going for a wander (leave behind
the winders and motor drives, battery packs, ttl cables, flash gizmos,
extension tubes etc etc). I think sometimes we tend to get overly involved
and overwhelmed with all the technology/accessories  etc - I know I do.

Sorry for the rambling, but it has been a wonderful "OM weekend" for me and
I thought I should share my happiness with the list before I burst......

peter