Re: [OM] Coming aboard

Subject: Re: [OM] Coming aboard
From: "Giles" <cnocbui@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 00:08:45 +0000
> From:          The Searcher <hopi@xxxxxxxxxx>

>  which, to some, might seem frivolous. It was an handling
> thing, an "ergo" thing.

Not frivolous at all.  Ergonomics is one of the things that really
sets the 4 Ti apart from the Nikon I also have

> was sad to learn this, as I realized that my quest to actually SEE what I
> was shooting would take precidence over features and, to some extent, cost

If you do not already have a 2-13 or 2-4 focusing screen fitted to
your 4T,  I would strongly suggest you acquire one - then you really
will be able to see, especially if you are using fast F2 lenses.

>  market, I'm finding out. My 20/2.8 Nikkor was my most useful lens. Now,
> to replace it, I'm seeking a used OM 21/3.5, and the half-stop loss will be
> a regretable concession.

As someone already suggested, get a 21mm f2 - a one stop gain.

>And my 50/2.8 Micro-Nikkor, amazing for its
> contrast and sharpness, will be replaced by the slower OM 50.3.5 macro.

Likewise, seek to acquire a 50mm f2 macro - a one stop gain, again.

> on some models (F3), effortless. But the film advance mechanism on the 4T
> is, I'm sad to say, the worst I've ever felt in a manually-wound SLR.

It is kind of gross isn't it.

> lensless. As I have found it impossible to procure a used 21/3.5 MC, I have
> decided to seek out a 100/2.8, a focal length which I also find very useful

Might I suggest you aim for the 100mm f2 instead as it has a stellar
reputation.  I believe Paul Tokarowski might still have one (in
virtualy mint condition no doubt 8-)  -  Paul.Tokarowski@xxxxxxxxxxx

While you might consider locating zuikos difficult compared with
Nikkors it should not be too hard.

While living in Perth Australia (until very recently) I managed to
acquire 7 fast lenses and a 1.4x TC.  All but one of which was
acquired from overseas (mostly from the US) and all acquired via the
net.  If you actually "live" in the US it should be comparatively
easy to acquire anything you are looking for with a little patience
and some searching.

Regards

Giles