Re: [OM] OM 1 battery choices

Subject: Re: [OM] OM 1 battery choices
From: Bob Sull <w8imo@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 1998 17:26:07 -0400

Mark Hammons wrote:

> Speaking of battery conversions for the OM-1(N), I had my done by Photosphere
> about 1.5 years ago.  It works great, but they put an alkaline 625 battery in
> and said
> to just change it once a year.  That is because of the discharge
> characteristics
> of Alkalines.  I asked if I could but a Silver Oxide Cell in and they said
> "Yes".

Interesting.  Sounds like a place to stay away from, UNLESS conversion included
a voltage
dropping device.  The Mercury cell is 1.35V and thats a far cry from 1.5V.....

> The thing I worry about is that the battery compartment is still sized for
> the 625
> type cells (big).  I wonder if putting a SR44 in there would let it shift
> around.  I
> understand Camtech does a similar conversion and from what I've read, it
> sounds like some kind of adapter is put into the battery chamber to allow
> the SR44 sized cells to fit properly.  If that is the case, is that adapter
> something
> I can get and put into my battery compartment?

I think the adapter has a schottkey diode and a size adjusting device.....

If the original "converter" installed the diode to drop the 1.5V to 1.35V and
the big 625
cell fits, why worry about it?  Its not like you change cells every week or
so.....

Bob

> --

                   ////////