Re: [OM] CALL FOR DISCUSSION: Split the list

Subject: Re: [OM] CALL FOR DISCUSSION: Split the list
From: dhurley@xxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 1998 09:26:21 -0500
>Stuart Goggin wrote:
>>Here's an idea:
>>Lets split the list into two seperate lists.
>>LIST 1:       OLYMPUS TECHNICAL LIST
>>      Basically ONLY olympus technical discussion.
>>LIST 2:  OLYMPUS CHAT LIST
>>I am getting rather tired of reading hundreds of messages about [XYZ].

        I can see your point, but I don't agree with it.  Quite honestly
I think the list would lose it's "feel" if we took away the freedom to
moderately stray off topic along the way.  How many times have you found
a better photograph by straying from the beaten path?  We learn from
these off topic explorations about things beyond Olympus, new ways of
looking at things and about other's beliefs.  It also provides additional
insights about the people on the list, a feeling of knowing the people
you are corresponding with.  It is seldom that this list gets too far
afield, and most people on this list seem to have the sense to know when
the horse has been beaten to death and move on. If it gets to the point
you just can't take it anymore, as others have mentioned, use the delete
key!  I say leave well enough alone.  IMHO, most of us would end up
subscribed to two lists, neither of which had the value, flavor, or
interest of the original.
FWIW,
Daryl Hurley