Re: [OM] Is it that bad

Subject: Re: [OM] Is it that bad
From: Denton Taylor <denton@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 07 Oct 1998 09:40:56 -0400
At 09:58 AM 10/7/98 +0000, you wrote:
>Well, Oly brought out the OM3Ti, the 35-80 zoom and 2 new focusing screens
>in 1995 for the professional market, the OM2000 + 2 zooms for amateurs in
>1997. They still offer the majority of items of the most comprehensive 35
>mm camera system ever made, even though people don't buy them.  Surely
>there are no glaring omissions/major faults in the OM system components.
>They are probably developing a digital back. Without coming up with a
>radical new deisgn (the OM4 is similar to the OM2) we can't really expect
>much of an improvement on the OM4Ti.
>I know the thread about the OM5.
>How many new products did Nikon produce for their professional system over
>the same period (apart from the F5 body).

The OM3Ti shouldn't really be classified as a new body; it's an incremental
upgrade. So the only significant product they've come out with in many
years is the 35-80. The OM2000 and lenses are a rebadged Cosina and not
directed at Oly's core constituency of sophisticated users. I'm not all
that familiar with the Nikon line but surely they've introduced at least
the N90s and F5 as well as amateur bodies and numerous lenses since the 4t
was introduced. Let's not forget the sophisticated flash abilities of the
Nikon system. Oly was the first to have ttl flash, and then, nothing!

Denton