Re: [OM] Silver lens Rim

Subject: Re: [OM] Silver lens Rim
From: "Shawn Wright" <swright@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 4 Oct 1998 12:25:13 -0700
On 4 Oct 98, at 13:16, lion1 wrote:

> Another thing I have done is mark a focusing screen to approximate the 8x10
> format.
> I shoot for that and trim my 4x6 prints to 4x5.  I find this to be a better
> method of
> in camera cropping.
>
> This brings another interesting question to mind.
> How many people use the whole negative or transparency to print?
> What are your favorite print proportions?

I've been pondering this issue lately, as I'm returning to B/W darkroom work
(again). I would say that at least 500f the time, I find 8x10 and 11x14
paper does not allow a good crop of the negative. In other words, the
composition loses something, or often completely falls apart if I have to crop
from an 8x12 image on the stand to fit an 8x10 easel, etc. So my choices
are to print on 11x14 paper and cut down to 8x12, or print on 8x10 paper (at
about 7x10 size) and use a custom mount or matte. It's a pain, since 11x14
paper is 2.5 times the cost of 8x10.
I may try to find 9x12 paper to allow me to use common 8x12 frames, but I
don't know if this size is available.

Shawn & Janis Wright
swright@xxxxxxxxx
http://Zuiko.sls.bc.ca/~swright