Re: Lens Hoods (was [OM] Silver lens Rim)

Subject: Re: Lens Hoods (was [OM] Silver lens Rim)
From: "John Petrush" <petrush@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 4 Oct 1998 14:44:04 -0700
I don't have my 35-70 f/3.6 here, I've given it to my Mother-in-law for as
long as she wants it, so I can not check this.  I recall the shade clamps on
the outer portion of the barrel and is fixed.  As one zooms, the inner
barrel extends or retracts as focal length is wide or long.  The amount of
shade that sticks out beyond the inner barrel changes as focal length
changes. sure 'nuf.

But, (and there's always a "but", huh?) my understanding of Wayne's question
is does there exist a shade that itself is variable in length, a la the zoom
head on a T-32 flash?  Gary, are you saying there is another type of hood on
the f/3.6 zoom that actually changes length?  If so, it is quite different
than mine.  Otherwise, the Ambico Shade is the best answer I've found.  It
is true, it is a bit of a pain in the rear, especially with lenses whose
front elements rotate.  But, it does the best job of any accessory I have
tried.  When getting fussy, that little extra is worth the added effort.

John P
there is no "never" - just long periods of "not yet".

Gary Reese <PCACala@xxxxxxx> remarked: