Re: lens hoods was [OM] Silver lens Rim

Subject: Re: lens hoods was [OM] Silver lens Rim
From: "John A. Prosper" <prosper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 3 Oct 1998 18:10:02 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 3 Oct 1998, lion1 wrote:

|<<The best (as in most flexible) lens hoods are the compendium style
|hoods with bellows which are rectangular (2 x 3 aspect ratio) and
|adjustable.  Although the circular hoods have their uses, it has
|always struck me as curious why the photo industry never made
|rectangular hoods in great quantities.>>
|
|Yes they are the best, however they are also the most unwieldy.
|And near impossible with a lens that has a rotating front.

Even so, I see no reason why the major manufacturers couldn't have
made simple (i.e., no bellows) dedicated rectangular hoods for their
lens offerings. I believe some list members once pointed out that
rectangular hoods are or used to be available from a third party
source although I can't recall the actual source.