[OM] Re: OM-2n Functions; Flash Flower Photography

Subject: [OM] Re: OM-2n Functions; Flash Flower Photography
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 02 Oct 1998 20:55:49 -0500
On 29 Sep 98, at 19:31, Joel Wilcox wrote:

> 1) The "Check:Reset" setting clearly allows one to check the batteries.
> What is "reset"?
>
> 2) The proper setting to achieve OTF/TTL flash is auto, I believe. I have
> apparent success with my Vivitar 4600 with dedicated module for Olympus.
>
> I'm curious as to what should happen if one uses the manual setting with
> flash?

Thanks to Shawn, Bob, Wiliam, Jan, and Charlie for your responses to my
question about OM-2n functions and the results of dedicated flash in
manual. Your suggestions were extremely helpful to me.

I suspect that Shawn is correct that with flash in TTL mode and camera in
manual the Vivitar flash is doing the opposite of a T32:  instead of
dumping, it must be shorting out and firing a very short burst. I suspect
the Viv dedicated module is not providing me with a way to shoot a full
dump, manual flash.  Either that, or problems with the OM-2n.  When my
OM-1n comes back from Camtech with a new Shoe 4, I'll renew the tests.

On flower photography, Gary Reese and Joseph Albert had interesting
comments. Gary talked about finding flower photography boring. I find it
boring with a flash as well, although I get very good results in most
situations using OTF/TTL and underexposing 1/2 to 1 stop on the exposure
compensation dial: good isolation and the flower is well exposed but also
well saturated.  Somehow natural light, while harder to work with in flower
photography, is so much more interesting in the result.  Certainly, when it
is good, it is very very good. But I'm glad I don't have to feed my family
by producing a lot of excellent pics this way.  (Although I wish that I
could spend my time trying!)

Joel