[OM] Re: warm beer, and bikes

Subject: [OM] Re: warm beer, and bikes
From: sje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 1998 17:49:36 +0000
Brad wrote:

>Japanese bikes may have speed, but they're basically disposable
>   bikes, ie low milage

Sorry, this is nothing but blind prejudice.  Japanese bikes are engineered
to a level not known on any other - British, Italian or American.
Disposable is the last word I'd use.  Try asking dealers about reliability,
warranty recalls etc, you may be suprised.  Check despatch riders'
workhorses too.

You won't find many Jap bikes from before 1962 or so, which was when they
started kicking complacent Brit bike arse at the TT (the Honda company
wasn't even born until 1948).  And they have continued to do so to this day.
With cameras, cars and bikes, their only rivals in engineering and this kind
of manufacturing are the Germans, IMHO.  And I'm not complaining - I've got
some great Japanese cameras, a solid German car, and great British hi-fi.

Simon E.