Re: [OM] Ebay gossip [was: 250 film cassettes]

Subject: Re: [OM] Ebay gossip [was: 250 film cassettes]
From: "Shawn Wright" <swright@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 16:59:53 -0800
On 30 Sep 98 at 18:20, PCACala@xxxxxxx wrote:

> The latest is the poor chump who bought the 18mm f/3.5 Zuiko from Igor Camera
> Exchange.  Igor's been around the Internet and online channels and finally
> decided to jump into ebay, albeit setting reserves at his/her same old prices
> - which hadn't netted sales previously.  The 18mm buyer elected to return it,
> despite Igor's "as is" policy.  I guess that the buyer was so glad to not be
> stuck with it that he/she spammed a newsgroup with a positive testimonial to
> Igor's willingness to exchange.  Our George Anderson did an interesting follow
> up, but I don't remember the exact wording.  Something to the effect of
> "wouldn't you have been more pleased if it had been something worth keeping?"
> LOL  [anyone feel free to correct me if I got a fact wrong]
>
> I looked back at the description Igor posted.  Nothing in it to indicate a
> problem.
>
> So, hidden problems with purchased items seems to be the #1 problem List
> members are having.  Another bad sign is that pawn shops are getting the idea
> this is where they can dump their unsold inventory.
>
> Another turn off are the thrill seekers who outbid you by 50 cents with 29
> seconds left.  When it happens at 2 am you quickly learn that there are better
> ways to shop.

My one experience with Ebay resulted in a damaged Trip 35 due to the sender's
neglect in packaging it properly. As it was only $20 US, it's not a big deal,
but it also was not worth returning, due to taxes, duty, and exchange. After
this transaction I would hesitate to buy anything major off ebay, mainly due to
the cross border hassles.

I mainly use Ebay as a source of information on various Oly items - it's
nice to see pictures of some rare items which I will probably never see up
close... 24 shift, 8mm fisheye, etc.