Re: [OM] Utility of Memory function?

Subject: Re: [OM] Utility of Memory function?
From: Pauls0627@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 12:29:19 EDT
In a message dated 9/30/98 12:12:30 PM Eastern Daylight Time, jans@xxxxxxxxxxx
writes:

<< Not on any 4/4t I've used! In fact, I routinely use the memory when
 shooting panoramas -- I take 8 spots around the circle, memorize the
 exposure, then shoot all the shots the same, to avoid obvious density
 changes when the pan shots are stitched together.

 Okay, I just went and played with it, and I think I see what you mean. It
 seems to have two modes:

 1) in spot mode, the exposure of the spot(s) you have chosen is frozen when
 you press memory,

 2) in auto mode, the exposure of the next shot you take after pressing
 memory is frozen.

 Does yours work differently from this? >>

This is the way mine works. Wonderful in spot mode. In center-weighted mode I
would rather have it freeze the exposure when I push the memory lever, not
when I make the exposure. An example would be a landscape where I might want
to meter (center weighted) off of the ground, but compose with significant
amounts of sky. Of course it's just as easy to hit the spot button in this
situation.

My point is that I find the way the memory works in center-weighted mode is
less useful. The only times I've used it is when I'm bracketing. If you
bracket subsequent shots with OTF, you don't *really* know what the exposure
difference is. By memorizing the first exposure I can use the compensation
dial to bracket subsequent frames relative to a fixed baseline.

Of course there's always manual mode....

Paul Schings
Coventry, RI